Moroccan Spiced Roast Chicken
Author: Michelle Scott Date Posted:21 June 2021
Melt in your mouth spiced roasted chicken stuffed with couscous, almonds and raisins.
This dish is cooked using a combination of roasting and steaming giving you a delicious, succulent, moist chicken full of flavour.
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Clean chicken cavity, rinse and dry with paper towel
- Season cavity with salt and pepper
- Place raisins in a small bowl and just cover with boiling water. Let stand until plump (about 10 mins)
- Combine ½ cup of water, half of the butter and salt to taste in a saucepan.
- Bring to the boil then remove from the heat.
- Stir in the couscous and cover and let stand for 20 mins or until water is absorbed.
- Melt remaining butter in a frying pan, add almonds and cook for 2 mins or until golden brown.
- Add almonds and butter, sugar, cinnamon, paprika, pepper to taste and drained raisins to couscous. Mix with a fork until well combined.
- Pack chicken cavity loosely with stuffing
- Close opening with poultry skewers and tie legs together with string.
- Tuck wing tips under body and secure neck skin with a poultry skewer
- Season the chicken with salt, pepper and paprika
- Place breast side up in a baking dish and pour in the water
- Spread softened butter over chicken and bake for two hours or until cooked basting often
- Transfer chicken to a warm platter
- Pour pan juices over chicken if desired, cover with aluminium foil and let rest for 10 mins.
Serve with the couscous stuffing ahd a fresh crisp salad.
TIP: To test if chicken is cooked, push a leg toward the breast. It is cooked when it moves freely