No-Bake Goodness Bars
Author: Shelley Bennetts Date Posted:17 January 2019
Puffed Amaranth is a perfect base for all sorts of energy bars, bliss balls and no-bake snack foods.
These are quick to make, provide lots of energy and are delicious. You can add your favorite seeds and nuts and even dried fruits to suit yourself. Get the kids to make their own!
• 1 cup Puffed Amaranth
• ¼ cup Quick Rolled Oats or Shredded Coconut
• ¼ cup Sultanas (or dried Cranberries, chopped Apricots)
• 1 tbs Pumpkin seeds
• 1 tbs Sunflower seeds
• 1 tbs Flax seeds
• 1 tbs Sesame seeds
• 2 tbs slivered, blanched Almonds
• ¼ cup Almond Butter (or Cashew)
• ¼ cup Brown Rice Syrup or Honey
- Dry roast the oats (or coconut), seeds and almonds separately in a small pan until just browned. The seeds will start popping and the oats and almonds will slightly brown.
- Combine the amaranth, roasted ingredients and dried fruits in a large bowl.
- Combine the nut butter and the syrup or honey in a small saucepan and gently heat while stirring until well blended.
- Mix this into the bowl with the rest of the ingredients and blend well. The mixture will be sticky and firm.
- Press this mixture evenly into a shallow baking dish (150 x 250mm) that has been lined with baking paper. Alternatively, you can roll it into balls the size of a walnut.
- Let it rest for half an hour before cutting into bars.
- Store in an airtight container in, or out of the fridge (I like mine cold).
Another similar recipe, but a little more decadent with the addition of mixed dried fruits and dark chocolate is Popped Grains, Seeds, Nuts and Dark Chocolate Bars.