Jaggery (Rapadura) Sugar Cookies
Author: Michelle Scott Date Posted:8 February 2021
Deliciously chewy jaggery (rapadura) sugar cookies with chocolate drops. You can swap out the chocolate drops with chopped nuts or omit them altogether. They will store in an airtight container for 7-10 days.
1 ¾ cups of plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
¾ tsp bicarb soda
½ tsp salt
1 ¼ cups Rapadura
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 tbsp vanilla extract
140g dark chocolate drops
Icing sugar for dusting (optional)
- Place the flour baking powder, bicarb and salt in a medium bowl and mix well
- In a large bowl beat the butter and rapadura until smooth and creamy
- Beat in the egg, egg yolk and vanilla extract.
- Slowly mix in the dry ingredients until combined. The mix will be sticky and thick.
- Fold in the chocolate drops and place the mix in the fridge for about an hour to make it easier to handle.
- Preheat the oven to 175C
- Line two biscuit trays with baking paper
- Roll approx. 2 tbsps of the batter into balls and place them evenly onto the baking paper
- Bake the cookies for approximately 12-15 mins. They should be soft in the centre when you take them out of the oven. Cool for 5 mins on the trays then move them to a cooling rack
- Dust them with icing sugar if you prefer
- Store cookies in an airtight container in the pantry.