Toasted Fennel, White Button Mushrooms and Cherry Tomato Pasta
Author: Shelley Bennetts Date Posted:28 June 2018
With a simple addition of fennel seeds, black pepper and a little chilli, this standard pasta dish becomes a knock-out!
Makes 2 servings
2 servings of pasta
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1/2 tsp of whole black peppercorns
3 cloves garlic, diced
1 small red onion, diced
1 cup sliced button mushrooms
1/2 cup whole cherry tomatoes
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp of Chilli Flakes
1/2 tsp of dried basil (or fresh if you have it)
Sea salt to taste
Prepare you choice of pasta in the usual way. Keep warm or coordinate with sauce preparation.
1. Toast fennel seeds by cooking on dry pan over medium fire. Stir the seeds with a wooden spoon until fragrant (2-3 minutes).
2. In a mortar, crush toasted fennel seeds and whole black peppercorns into coarse pieces. Set aside.
3. Heat olive oil over medium heat. Then add diced garlic and onion, and cook until fragrant.
4. Toss in the mushrooms (with a few tablespoons of water), stir in the butter, and cook for about 5 minutes.
5. Throw in the tomatoes and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
6. Turn the heat off, and pour sauce over cooked pasta. Stir in balsamic vinegar, fennel/black pepper, salt, chilli flakes, and fresh basil, and there you have it - a flavourfully light pasta!
*Recipe compliments of Season with Spice
Read more about fennel seeds
Vegetarian | Vegan | Meat/ Seafood | Sweet Treats