Chickpea (Besan) Pancakes
Author: Michelle Scott Date Posted:22 March 2021
Chickpea (Besan) Pancakes or Socca make a delicious base for a meal or a snack.
Chickpea (besan) pancakes can be used as gluten free, vegan replacement for bread. Best eaten as soon as it is cooked but the batter can be kept in the fridge for several days.
My favourite breakfast is a besan pancake base with, rocket, cherry tomatoes, spanish onion, crumbled fetta and avocado topped with a drizzle of balsamic glaze, Himalayan salt and freshly ground black pepper.
1 heaped tsp cumin
1 tsp fresh rosemary finely diced
- Sift the besan flour into a bowl.
- Add filtered water and whisk will until the mix is smooth and glossy.
- Add olive oil, salt and ground black pepper, cumin and reosemary if desired and combine well.
- Leave the mix to stand for 30 minutes.
- Heat heavy based frying pan to medium/high.
- Lightly oil the frying pan and add approximately 1/4 cup of the besan mix.
- When bubbles start to appear through the mix, turn the pancake over and cook until both sides are golden brown.
TIP: Experiment with the batter – add more water for a thinner pancake and experiment with the spices eg: add coriander powder, crushed garlic, etc.