Flavoursome Turmeric & Vegetable Curry
Author: Natural Food and Nutrition
The curry paste makes this vegetable dish special. You can add whatever veggies you have on hand, allowing for different cooking times.
1 tblsp Turmeric Paste
1 onion, roughly chopped
3 tblsps organic shredded coconut
1 tsp ground coriander
2 large cloves garlic, crushed
2cm piece ginger, grated
1 red chilli, roughly chopped
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Water, preferably filtered
2 tblsps virgin coconut oil
8 fresh curry leaves (or 4 dried)
1/2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
200g potato, diced small
200g pumpkin/sweet potato, diced small
1 tomato, diced
1/4 small cauliflower, cut into florets
1 can (270mL) coconut cream
1 tsp sea/rock salt
1 zucchini, diced
1/2 cup peas/asparagus pieces/broccoli florets
handful baby spinach/kale, sliced
1/2 tsp organic garam masala
1 small bunch coriander, roughly chopped
1. Place all the paste ingredients into a small blender and blend until smooth (add small amount of water if required). Set aside.
2. Heat coconut oil over medium to low heat in a medium sized saucepan and add curry leaves and mustard seeds. Stir continuously until mustard seeds begin to pop.
3. Immediately add the prepared paste and cook over medium heat for 5 min.
4. Add potato, pumpkin, tomato and cauliflower and cook, stirring continuously for 2min.
5. Add coconut cream and bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, add salt and simmer covered (stirring occasionally) for 20-25min or until vegetables are tender when tested with a fork.
6. Add zucchini and cook covered for a further 10min (stirring occasionally).
7. Remove from heat, add peas and baby spinach, stirring to combine.
Serve with steamed basmati rice and a sprinkling of fresh coriander and garam masala.