Tomato Curry with Black Mustard Seeds
Date Posted:25 March 2019
You can make this easy dish the day before you want to serve it. Try it with Aromatic Fluffy Rice or as a side dish for a family meal.
1 kg fresh tomatoes, skinned
1/2 cup of coconut oil
5 garlic cloves, crushed
5cm piece of ginger, finely grated
1 medium onion, sliced
1 fresh chilli, desseded and sliced
1 tsp black mustard seeds
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground rock salt
1/2 tsp sweet paprika
1 tsp tomato paste
24 curry leaves
1/2 cup boiling water
fresh coriander (to serve)
- Finely chop half of the tomatoes and cut the rest into quarters.
- Heat half of the coconut oil in a large pot.
- Add half of the garlic and saute then add the ginger, onion and chilli.
- Fry gently, stirring often until the onions are transparent.
- Add the ground turmeric, ground cumin and ground coriander and fry for two to three minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, half the curry leaves and the boiling water.
- Simmer until the tomatoes have softened into a sauce (approx 10 minutes).
- Add the quartered tomatoes, 1 tsp salt and simmer until the tomatoes are soft but still holding their shape.
- Heat the ramaining coconut oil in a small saucepan.
- Add the remaining garlic, curry leaves and black mustards seeds.
- When the seeds begin to pop and the garlic is slightly golden, add into the curry and stir well.
- Garnish with fresh coriander.
Recipe inspired by Delicious Magazine, 2015